August 23, 2008

"Equality California" Commercial

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't own a TV. If I have to see it ONE more time, I just might shoot my TV. It's not even JUST the content of the commercial (which, if you haven't seen it, is a bride confronting numerous obstacles just so she can get to her wedding...the final one being an older woman tripping her with a cane as she walks down the aisle, the groom trying to rush to her side and being held back by the officiant and best man with the words "What if you couldn't marry the person you love?" across the screen) but the fact that it's played EVERY commercial break on EVERY channel. I was looking for it on YouTube to post but figured then I'd have to watch it every time I came onto my blog. But as I was reading the comments, a person had a good point. They use a man & a woman...the way it's SUPPOSED to be. Of course it looks wrong when two people that SHOULD be allowed to get married are stopped. If they had used two men or two women, which would be what their ACTUAL message is, it wouldn't have the same impact! The commercial has to start with the assumption that you see NO difference between men and women whatsoever to make the comparision valid. I think I scream every time I hear the commercial. In fact, yesterday I was in the kitchen out of range of the TV and heard some classical music, very generic, not a well known piece or anything, but I knew it was that commercial because they play it SOOOO much! Ok, done venting...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, yes! I saw that on TV at Wita's house last time we were there and I almost GAGGED. It made me so mad that (like you said) they would use a REAL male/female couple to play on your emotions while it's propaganda for something totally different. Ick. I guess I'm still glad we don't have TV lol
~Neeva